Sunday, January 20, 2008

garden journal entry#1

I finally have little sprouts! I was beginning to wonder if I had messed up because there is a little white fuzzy mold on the soil but they sprouted last night! I still don't know what to do about the mold though. We planted in the indoor-mini-green-house last Saturday and a week later they have sprouted.

Brian and I always said we wanted a garden but used the excuse that we are in an apartment and have no place. We have lived in a house now for 2 years and this is the beginning of the 2nd garden. I have found gardening is not as easy as it looks. Last year our we bought some plants, 2 tomatoes, a bell pepper, a jalapeno, 2 squash, basil, and a watermelon. We had lots of fun setting up the garden and watering almost everyday. It really looked good with dark fresh soil all around neat circles of green plants. Then the squash got way too much water and molded, it produced about 4 vegetables then died. The tomato plant had about 6 green tomatoes and Brian was trimming a big tree above it to provide more sunlight and a branch dropped and bent the cage and knocked off lots of the tomatoes. the cage was never the same and the plant later sot a spider I could not get rid of. The pepper didn't produce anything good but is still alive and looks alright. The jalapeno produced the most, a couple bowls full. It was fun to learn to cook with a jalapeno. We still have some that turned into a pepper that are drying out. Lastly the monster watermelon, it grew fast and spread its self all over the whole garden and down the wall produced about 6 good watermelon then a peace would died after each new watermelon, covering the whole garden in a mess of dead vines neatly curled around anything it could. The kids loved the watermelon they checked its progress every day, and wanted to pick it as quick as they could. We had watermelon up to the end of October just in time for Halloween so we carved watermelon instead of a pumpkin!(Sorry no Picture our camera was broken for a few months: (


This year I wanted to plant different types of tomatoes then next year we would know what we like best and use it. Also we are going to plant peas, squash, cucumber and pumpkin. ( learning form our watermelon mistake and plant it in a different area of the yard). Look forward to more garden updates!

January 12 planing seeds with the kids.


2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Congrats on the sprouts! That is so great. I didn't even think to tell you to call Jamie. She would know what to do with the mold (I would think because she is the sprout queen). Anyway I tasted some of your garden and it was great. If you ever want to borrow our dehydrator let me know. I also have a few recipes to use dried JalapeƱos in. YUMMY! We both know how we feel about Mexican food. :) I am so proud of you for trying to keep a garden. Proud and jealous really. One of these days we will find a house to move into!

Unknown said...

I was looking at Carianne's page and clicking links to see if I knew any of her friends and I don't really but I saw your garden and saw you talking about mold and I get mold on my house plants when I water them with regular water instead of distilled water. Its the salty residue from the water.